Menghitung hari

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Exam oriented?

Bismillahirahmanirahim…

Recently, there was a proposal to abolish the Ujian Penilaian Menengah Rendah (UPSR) and Penilaian Menengah Rendah (PMR) examination. The reason? They said that students nowadays are too exam oriented. Some people agreed and some didn’t. For those who wish to further their studies to boarding schools, they may opt to take special entry test.

From a student’s perspective

I just smiled while scheming into the news …imagining what would those who think that UPSR and PMR are too much if they are in my place (and some others who are in the same boat with me). Starting from Junior 5 at International Islamic College (Primary) in 1998, I was required to take Junior School Leaving Examination (JSLE). During Standard 6, I moved to a local Islamic school and took 2 exams in the year 1999- Ujian Penilaian Sekolah Rendah (UPSR) and Sijil Penilaian Rendah Agama (SPRA). In 2000, I took the Ujian Penilaian Peralihan- an exam which is a must for Tingkatan Peralihan students of Yayasan Islam Kelantan schools. In 2001, there comes the Penilaian Menengah Rendah Ugama (PMRU). 2002, Peniliaian Menengah Rendah (PMR) and the final mission in 2004- Sijil Penilaian Malaysia (SPM). 7 in total. So kids, do not complain as you got only 3 big exams to face.

As for the preparations, frankly speaking, I hate the idea of tuitions and going to tuitions. Except for the Saturday class during Secondary 5 which I dug up RM 20 out of my own pocket money for the fees each month. I only have the time span of 8 months to prepare for my UPSR examination (which means I have to revise everything from standard 4-6 syllabus within this period) as the years before that I spent at a school with Singapore education syllabus. The only thing I am a little obsessed is buying exercise books (pantang nampak kedai buku).

School extracurricular activities that I enjoyed are Pergerakkan Syabab & Fatayat Malaysia (same level as Pengakap/ Scout) with its monthly and yearly camping, some sewing activities; Handball Club and other usual school activities. No music class, piano class, self-defense class to cramp my schedule. To enjoy music, I just hum to myself or listen to the radio.

Results? Please don’t ask the details how this ‘late bloomer’ scored (malu…). But I didn’t cared much. I mean, I am quite satisfied with what I obtained. I don’t look forward to be on the cover of newspapers as the country’s top scorer. I don’t look forward to be in boarding school. Got the offer to go to Maahad Muhammadi (P) Kelantan during Secondary 1 but I declined the offer and choose to go to a religious school in Selangor instead.

A teacher’s perspective

I am fortunate to have the opportunity to teach at two different schools. In 2005, I was given the opportunity to teach tahap 1 students (standard 1-3) and in 2008 a teacher for standard 2, 5, and 6. The 2008 exposed me to students in the exam moods (standard 6). After the official school hours finished at 2:30pm, I have to stay back until 5:30pm for their extra class. Teaching in class is a very tiring job but you are surely to put a smile when the results are released. I didn’t expect that everyone would get flat 5 as I am aware that different students have different abilities. It is enough for me, as a teacher, for the students to have good manners, adab and akhlaq.

I myself sometimes would stress out if I followed each and every nook of the text book. How about those students? To give a fun experience in learning, I sometimes gave them word puzzles that are related to the syllabus. I could observed that they enjoyed very much each time there are word game sessions- especially during the extra classes hour.

The conclusion?

In my humble opinion, I would just say that “Let the exam stays”. But the important thing is study at your own pace. Not everyone have the IQ of super- genius. Everyone have their own strengths and weakness. Exam is not the end. Exam is just a test. There are seven types intelligence, as Gardner says. Not just mathematics and numbers.

Manage your time. Have a good rest. Not everyone needs tuition. To save time and energy, make full use of your class hours.

No comments: